Locust Ridge Primitive Baptist Church – Past, Present and Future
In 1871 W. F. Covington sold to Trustees Abraham Demonbruen, William Lampkin, Isaac Tucker, John Henry Starnes, Henry Covington and Simon Crowder a parcel of land 69 square yards for one dollar to build a colored church and school. This parcel is located on the hill where the Locust Ridge Cemetery is presently located. In 1885, Locust Ridge Primitive Baptist Church was organized. Elder Peter Starnes was the founder and Pastor. Locust Ridge joined the Lynn Creek Primitive Baptist Association. The original church was destroyed by fire. Church was held in the school after the fire.
On October 23, 1926 Bryce Starnes sold to Trustees Monroe Johnson, Will Claybrooks and Mack Starnes one acre of land for $34.50. A 20X30 building was erected on the site at 6490 Arno-College Grove Road, College Grove, Tennessee. Through the years, there have been seven pastors and two acting pastors.
¨ Peter Starnes
¨ George Beaver
¨ Andrew Rivers – Acting Pastor
¨ Andrew Watson
¨ Allen Winstead
¨ Walter Amos
¨ Walter Rodgers – Acting Pastor
¨ Marvin P. Hatcher, Jr.
¨ Jasper G. Hatcher, Sr.
¨ Brandon L. Mason
Over the years God has led the Locust Ridge Primitive Baptist Church to organize several boards, auxiliaries and ministries.
Under the leadership of Elder Marvin P. Hatcher, Jr., in 1975 the church was remodeled and the cornerstone laid. In 1976, Locust Ridge joined the Cumberland Association of Primitive Baptists.
In 1978, Elder Jasper G. Hatcher, Sr. became pastor. Under his great leadership and guidance, God enabled us to make our surrounding more pleasant to better serve Him. God blessed our church with a multitude of improvements and accomplishments with the church still moving on to a higher spiritual height.
In the year 2000, Pastor Jasper G. Hatcher, Sr. revealed to Locust Ridge his Vision from the Lord to build a new sanctuary. A Kingdom Building Committee was established and members appointed by Pastor Hatcher. In 2004, we purchased one acre of land adjacent to the church. We also purchased 10 acres of land located at 4991 Murfreesboro Road, Arrington Tennessee in Williamson County.
On the 5th Sunday in May, 2005 a groundbreaking ceremony was held at the future site of the Locust Ridge Primitive Baptist Church. The church located at 6490 Arno-College Grove Road, College Grove, Tennessee was sold. Our last service at that location was held on the 4th Sunday in September 2005. Our Church Sunday School, Morning Worship Service and Communion and Feet Washing services began at the College Grove Community Center with prayer meeting and bible study, choir rehearsals, business meeting, baptisms and funerals held at our sister churches. We thank God for our sister churches.
On July 10, 2008 the Williamson County Planning Commission approved construction documents and drawings by TLP Architects for our new church edifice. On August 27, 2008 Pastor Jasper Hatcher, Trustees John Dodson, Sandra Hunt and Thomas Jarrett signed the construction contract with Baron and Dowdle Construction Company.
On October 1, 2008 Pastor Jasper Hatcher, Trustees Ronnie Brown, John Dodson, Sandra Hunt, Thomas Jarrett, Andrew Jones, Yvonne Scott and Clarence Smithson signed loan documents with Pinnacle Bank and construction began on October 2, 2008.
In May, 2009 Minister Brandon L. Mason was appointed as Youth Minister.
On the 5th Sunday in November, 2009, we held our last service at the College Grove Auditorium. We thank God for another blessing.
On December 3, 2009 construction was completed. On December 6, 2009 our first worship service was held in our new edifice. On December 9, 2009 we began our dedication celebration.
On December 13, 2009 we celebrated our official opening and dedicatory ceremony.
On May 14, 2011 Elder Brandon Mason was appointed Assistant Pastor.
On the 1st Sunday in July 2011, Pastor Jasper Hatcher announced his retirement after 33 years of hard work and dedicated service to the Locust Ridge Church.
On October 2, 2011 the church cornerstone was laid.
On the 1st Sunday in October 2011, Elder Jasper Hatcher preached his last sermon as Pastor.
On October 8th, 2011, The Locust Ridge Church held a business meeting and elected a spirit filled man, in the person of Elder Brandon L. Mason and on October 30th, 2011, he was installed as the eighth pastor.
Under Pastor Mason’s leadership, the church has grown phenomenally in membership and attendance, reaching the Locust Ridge Church to the largest Primitive Baptist Church in the state of Tennessee.
During the Pastorate of Elder Mason, God has blessed the Locust Ridge Church financially, including the elimination of a substantial amount of debt.
Numerous ministries have been added to the church, including the expansion of a youth ministry which provides youth an opportunity to worship in their own creative space during morning worship, under the leadership of a Youth Pastor.
Pastor Brandon Mason also launched a Media Ministry which reaches a weekly attendance of over 1000 viewers on social media platforms.
Additionally, a myriad of capital improvements, enhancements and investments in the community have been made. With this acquisition, the church is well-positioned for expansion and Kingdom building opportunities.
The church welcomes those in Metro Nashville and beyond to worship God, share the gospel of Jesus Christ with others and execute the business of the Kingdom with excellence.
“…as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9